The GPS devices of this modern world have become portable. Not only are these devices fit in your car because now, you can even find handheld devices that are only as big as your cellphone! Whether you are just planning to buy one for the first time or you are already a GPS user, did you know that there are several exciting things that you can do with your unit?
- Find your vehicle’s parking location – Say, you forgot your car’s parking location in the grocery store. Well, there is no need for you to worry because your GPS device will be able to find it for you.
- Travel – If you are travelling in a new place, getting lost is always possible. With your GPS device, you will no longer have to use the traditional map that can be too confusing at times because your navigation unit will be able to tell you if you are going the right direction.
- Record your route – In case you are travelling in a secluded area where there is no defined road, you can always record the exact route that you took then play it back or use this recording in the future if you have plans to visit again.
- Set notifications for travel route – With your GPS device, there will no longer be cases of a missed exit on the freeway and having to detour for 3 miles back. The GPS navigator will serve as your guide during your trip so that you will not miss any important highway exits or turns.
- Know your exact coordinates – When your car suddenly broke them in the middle of nowhere, your GPS will tell you your exact coordinates that you can then give to the towing company for them to get to your location faster.
- Use as speedometer – The GPS device also has the ability of tracking your speed. In case you have been stopped for alleged speeding, you can use this for proving to the cops that you are not exceeding the limit.
- Locate camp – Every time you go camping, you can always find your way back to camp without any worries of getting lost in case you decided to visit the nearby town or you farther with your hike.
- Search and rescue purposes – During water emergencies, like someone accidentally falling off the boat, the GPS device can be used for marking the exact spot of the incident. For many years, GPS has been put to use and ensured the success of search and rescue operations.
- Boating – If you go boating, you can always identify your exact location in the water with no need for you to search for any landmarks.
- Track teenagers – The last but finally not the least, GPS devices can be used for locating your teens. Parents surely know how teenagers love going for late night forays. But thanks to the help of GPS, you will know exactly where your kids are and even your car each and every time!
GPS devices can prove to be extremely useful in different situations and can even give you so much fun. There are now a lot of websites that offer fun tips as well as equipment for your navigation needs, which include GPS systems and so much more!
GPS SYSTEM – HOW DOES IT REALLY WORK?
Way back during the ancient times, the humans have long looked up to the skies in order for them to find their way around the earth during their travels. Even the ancient sailors relied on the constellations formed in the night sky to know their location as well as their destination.
Fast forward to the present times, the modern people no longer need to glance at the skies because all that it takes is a simple and portable handheld Global Positioning System or GPS receiver for them to know their exact location, no matter where they are in the world. However, even at this day and age, there is still a need for the objects high up in the sky for you to know where you are and how you will get to other places.
But this time around, instead of trying to figure out the star formations, satellites are now being used. More than 30 navigation satellites zip around high above the planet and these very satellites tell the people their precise location at any given time.
GPS: A SHORT OVERVIEW
At the very basic sense, GPS is actually a system. This is composed of three main parts: the satellites, the ground stations and the receivers. The satellites are the ones that serve as the stars in the constellations and you know where these are supposed to be at certain times. Meanwhile, the ground station makes use of radar for ensuring the satellites are actually where they are supposed to be. Finally, the receiver, similar to what you can find in your phone or car, constantly listens for the signals that come from the satellites. This receiver will figure out how far away they are from the rest.
After the receiver has calculated the distance from four or several satellites, this will know your exact location and voila! From several miles up in the space, your ground location can be identified with an amazing precision. Most of the time, these can determine where you are within several yards of your exact location. However, the more high technology receivers will be able to figure out where you are to within several inches. Surely, the ancient sailors will feel flabbergasted by the ease and speed of pinpointing locations today.
GPS IN YOUR MODERN EVERYDAY LIFE
So far, there are still a lot of vital things for which GPS systems can be used for. Make sure that you get your own unit today and get the best out of this one of a kind device!