Whatever you want to call this portable sleeping unit, whether military cot, or what we call it, army cots have always been an integral part of the soldier’s life.
It has been used by various military divisions since the 19th century, since the American Civil War.
When there is nothing left out there for you to sleep on, you can trust on the old reliable use of portable, touch, durable folding camping cots to help you get at least somewhat of a decent night’s sleep.
- A Complete Listing of the Best Military Cots
- 1. Coleman Trailhead II Cot
- 2. Coleman Comfort Smart Cot
- 3. Portable Folding Camping Bed and Cot (Trademark Innovations)
- 4. Kamp-Rite Tent Cot with Rain Fly
- 5. Outsunny Compact Pop Up Camping Cot Tent Combo Set
- 6. Kamp-Rite Oversize Kwik Cot
- 7. Kamp-Rite Compact Double Tent Cot
- 8. Teton Sports Outfitter Cot
- 9. The Maine Military Cot by Byer of Maine
- 10. Tough Outdoors Camping Cot
- Frequently Asked Questions
A Complete Listing of the Best Military Cots
1. Coleman Trailhead II Cot
We were only aware of just 4 different companies and large manufacturers of cots and portable beds when we first started this website. One of them was Coleman.
We were already very familiar with the products made by the Coleman company like sleeping bags, tents, camping lamps, and other outdoor equipment and gears.
This cot was one of the first cots which we saw from Coleman. Based on the design of the Coleman Trailhead II Cot model it is probably more for the use as a type of army cot than a camping cot.
It is very simple in design and has no extraneous features besides you already see.
- Folding cot with extra-sturdy powder-coated steel frame
- Attach the connecting cross bars before fully extending cot to its flat position by laying out the cot, lifting upward, sliding the connecting point onto the cross bar and then extending outward to lock the joints in place.
- Military-style build supports up to 300 pounds
- Polyester sleeping surface; 3 scissor-action folding legs
- For people up to 6′ 2″; measures 75 x 17 x 35 inches (W x H x D)
- Folds up and fits in carrying bag with shoulder sling
2. Coleman Comfort Smart Cot
This model called the ComfortSmart Folding Cot is sold by the mega company Coleman. This particular model is part of the ComfortSmart collection.
It was one of the original models of camping cots which we personally loved.
The reason why we really liked it was the fact that the fabric surface is more than just a thin layer of material which has no cushion to it.
This particular model is called ComfortSmart for a reason. It is comfortable.
Obviously the cushion over the metal bottom support is slightly thicker than the usual fabric stretched out but it is not some type of mattress topper pad (which we also sell in the mattress toppers section).
It is more comfortable to most people but it won’t be the most comfortable thing you’ve ever slept on.
- Bi-Fold frame
- Covered foam mattress pad
- Comfortably fits a person up to 67″
- Supports up to 250 lbs.
- Spring construction for a bed-like feel.
- Comfortsmart collection
3. Portable Folding Camping Bed and Cot (Trademark Innovations)
The model called the Portable Folding Camping Cot sold by Trademark Innovations. It is is labeled as both a camping bed and a camping cot.
We are fairly liberal with the way we have been defining the term “cot” to refer to any type of portable sleeping unit that you can just stick in the back of your car, then take out, assemble, and put it outside to sleep upon.
We felt that the name of the particular model of camping cot already says everything you need to know about it. It is one of the folding or fold-up models of cots.
It is small enough (aka portable) to be taken almost anywhere even using the smallest of sedans. Compared to say most other models that we have seen, we would just say that it is very average.
It gets consistently good, but not great, reviews.
- Lightweight and portable camping bed is perfect for the outdoors
- The particular model can hold up to 260lbs
- No assembly required
- Comes with lightweight carrying case
- It folds in half to maximize portability
- Item measures 75 inches long, 17 inches high, and 25 inches across when set up
4. Kamp-Rite Tent Cot with Rain Fly
This model was the one of the first models we found by Kamp-Rite which has been a big name in the field of camping cots and accessories.
The Kamp-Rite Double Kwik Cot is one of those models which makes you realize that if a person is thinking of getting a type of cot, whether army or camping style, they don’t have to settle just for a single sized model.
This is called the Double Kwik Cot model for a reason, and you can see where the makers of this one did it right.
The most obvious thing about this particular model is the doubled width of it.
If you actually opened the model up and expanded it out, you’d find the stretched out fabric to cover an area of over 7 feet at 85 inches long and almost 5 feet wide at 55 inches in width.
However, if you consider how much width is actually available for two people, it really doesn’t seem like that much.
- Double Kwik Cot opens in seconds to create a comfortable
- Full size dimensions: 85″ x 55″ sleeping surface
- Sleeps 2 people comfortably
- Comes standard with zippered carry bag for clean and easy storage
- Weight capacity 550 lbs
- Folds down to a compact 42″x9″x11″
- Total product weighs 32 lbs
5. Outsunny Compact Pop Up Camping Cot Tent Combo Set
Outsunny 1 Person Compact Pop Up Portable Folding Outdoor Elevated Camping Cot Tent Combo Set new innovations in the outdoor sleeping industry.
This particular model called the Compact Pop-Up Tent & Camping Cot takes the best parts and features of sleeping bags, air mattresses, camping cots, and tent and combine them together to create what is probably the ultimate system in outdoor sleeping units.
We’ve previous reviewed this model before (Available Here), but since it seems like it is so popular with people, let’s do a 2nd more complete review on it.
Some of the parts we had said before we will not be including here, but if you click on the link on the top, other questions might be answered.
- Easy to set up and take down
- Large zippered door for entry and exit
- Can be detached to form separate tent and cot
- Comes with storage bag to hold tent
- Overall dimensions: 76″ Lx 34″ W x 63″ H
6. Kamp-Rite Oversize Kwik Cot
The Kamp-Rite Oversize Kwik Cot has been one of the most consistently highly rated models that we have found.
There seems to have been a lot of interest in this particular model and we are not sure why that might be ourselves.
What we could figure out about why this model seems to be so popular is that it is relatively simple in design and is very portable.
The model is not too overly large in size.
When you expand out the cot to the full size by opening it up, it reaches dimensions of around 7 feet in length and almost 3 feet wide.
Based on those dimensions we can say that it would sleep even the tallest of individuals. It sort of reminds us of the college sized beds that are available in universities.
It is not wider than any of the other models, but it is definitely longer. This would be great for a taller than average person but not for a person who is wider.
- Oversize Cot opens in seconds to create a comfortable 84″ x 33″ sleeping surface
- 2 drop down storage pouches for cell phone wallet keys etcetera
- When folded the 2 pouches form a carry handle for easy transportation
- Comes with zippered Bag for clean and easy storage
- Weight capacity 400lbs
- Folds down to a compact 42″x9″x8″ and weighs 25lbs
7. Kamp-Rite Compact Double Tent Cot
We have already seen over a dozen models of army cots, camping cots, and tent cots all from the company Kamp-Rite.
This model sold by them is called the Kamp-Rite Double Tent Cot. The reason it is called the Double Tent Cot is from the doubled size of the width of the cot.
What we have noticed is that when it comes to the width of the cots sold by Kamp-Rite, most of them are either 28 inches or 32 inches in width.
This model has the width doubled to around 52-53 inches.
That means that it can sleep two people in it at one time. Of course even thought it’s width has almost been double, it would still be a rather tight fit.
Be aware that the width divided in half means that there is only slightly more than 2 feet of shoulder space to rest on.
If a person has rather wide and broad shoulders, it might be too small for them.
- Elevated sleeping platform keeps you high and dry and away from the bugs and snakes
- Heavy duty 210 D tent and rain fly is designed to handle most wet weather conditions
- Versatile design allows you to use your tent cot as a lounge, a chair and a flat cot as well
- Designed to set up in seconds. Allows you to go from the car or truck to set up in seconds.
- Cot size is 84L x 52W. Tent size is 84L x 52W x 36H
- 2-person tent cot with fully enclosed 420-denier nylon sides
- Cot sits 11 inches off the ground for moisture protection
- Durable 1-piece Cordura nylon fabric sleeping surface; includes rain fly
- Measures 84 x 40 x 53 inches (W x H x D) when open; 1-year warranty
- No-see-um mesh doors and windows
- lightweight aluminum frame
8. Teton Sports Outfitter Cot
This is one of the many military style folding cots that we have found. Compared to the other models which have almost the same dimensions, size, and features, it is slightly below average in quality.
There are not that many people who have given it the best of reviews. We suspect that it is because of a branding issue.
When we compare this model to what is probably the exact same product sold by the company Coleman, model Trailhead II Cot, it just doesn’t have the same number of reviews.
It could just be a popularity contest.
That is why even though it might seem like this model is not as good as others, it is underrepresented due to a lack of name recognition.
We personally have never heard of CusCus but they seem to be a very active seller of outdoor gears, most especially camping backpacks and a few exercise equipments.
- Classic military-style folding cot for camping or taking to the cabin
- Washable, extremely durable 900
- D polyester cover fabric
- Free heavy duty water resistance carry bag
- Bed Dimension: 74inchX28inch; High: 17inch.
- Weight Capacity: 200 lbs
9. The Maine Military Cot by Byer of Maine
This model is called the Main Military Cot. It is sold by the company Byer of Maine, which is actually called Byer Manufacturing Company.
They are the oldest supplier of folding cots in the USA.
The company was started in the 19th century and has been suppying military style cots or army cots for soldiers in various military branches to sleep on for many of the world wards, including World War I, World War II, the Korean War.
Beyond just soldiers, the Byer of Maine company has also supplied it to people around the world doing good things, and improving the lives of other people.
The Red Cross and many other NGOs have bought these folding cots for its members.
- The weight capacity for this model is 350 lbs
- Includes a side pouch to store valuables
- Product weight: 20 lbs
10. Tough Outdoors Camping Cot
Slumberjack is one of the bigger names and companies that sell camping cots and military cots.
This model called the Slumberjack Big Cot is probably the most popular (as well as best selling) model in their collection. It is also called the Big Lux Cot model as well.
We sort of use those two different terms and labels for this particular model interchangeably.
What makes this particular model so popular with the outdoors lover is the storage pouch at the bottom of the cot and the included mat which self inflates so that you get a softer surface to sleep on at night.
The one feature that it does have which makes it so impressive is that the frames, while mainly made of aluminum composite, has the ends of the bars at the bottom coated with steel.
The steel bar ends means that when you are lying down on the cot at night and you start to roll around to adjust your position, the ends of the bars will not scrape against the ground they are on making horrible screeching noises.
Other people who have bought this model have also said that they noticed that the noise level of this particular cot compared to maybe another they bought for their kids or spouse was much quieter.
- Extra-long, extra-wide camping cot made of 600 by 300 denier polyester
- No-squeak aluminum frame with steel end bars is quiet and comfortable
- Bottom storage pouch with mesh gear pockets for flashlight, glasses, and more
- Big Lux cot model includes self-inflating, edge-bonded mat for added comfort
- Available in 3 models measuring at least 32 x 19 x 82-Inch (width x height x depth)
Frequently Asked Questions
Several varieties of camping cots can have several kinds of fabric, frame, weights, and sizes and so on. So it may not be easy to choose one that is best suited for your outdoor activities. You must think of many considerations before getting one. The heavier cots provide more comfort than the lighter ones.
But should you get a heavier coat, it might be difficult to transport them from one place to the next. It’s the reason why a bulk of campers prefers lightweight cots. Thus, you need to put portability into consideration when getting a cot. A portable cot would come in handy when you are camping.
Camping cots can come in poles and fabrics just like the tents, with instructions that some people may not get immediately while setting up for the night. But often, that is not the case.
Ease of use entails that you can set up the item fast and the best cot was designed for such convenience.
You may also find that ease of use and weight come hand-in-hand and you will find many high-end models that are lightweight. Most lightweight models are easy to set up because they are easy to carry.
Weight is among the most crucial factors to consider when getting a camping cot. Several types of camping cots have different weights. They range from 2-3 lbs to 15-20 lbs. heavy-duty cots that are made of steel weight.
So you can select between heavy-duty or lightweight and must not overlook what is required for your camping trip. You would need a lightweight model in most situations since camping involves transporting stuff from one place to the next.
The most appropriate size of the majority of adults is 25” wide and 75” in length. Size matters because you may also discover that other sizes are more suitable for taller and shorter people.
One way of keeping the excellent of your best camping cot is to clean them every month. Even if you do not use them very regularly, you need to secure that they are not consumed by termites or covered with thousands of dusts.
It does not mean that you maintain them in your storage room, they are already protected. You need to do a normal inspection, maybe a few times a month. In this way, you may guarantee that your sleeping gears are still in excellent condition.
When you are checking your best camping cot, you need to clean them as properly. they’re generally product of substances that are easy to clean. Just make certain to use the proper cleaning stuff to avoid any harm.
A number of them have their own containers, so that you do not have to search for something to wrap them. But if they do not have any case, attempt to search for plastics or anything that would secure them from any scratch or particles. There’s a tendency that their fabric can get stains if they are not nicely stored.
Another concept of cleaning your best camping cot is to wash them. There are some sleeping gears that are made of waterproof components. hence, you could easily wash them. Sometimes they get smelly if they’re stored for a long time. Small particles will collect, that is why they generate bad smell.
Remember to clean their metal frames so that they will still look good as new. For those cheap ones, their frames effortlessly get rusted. You have to discover ways to prevent them from losing their original color.
In case, you happen to encounter damages in your camping cots, try to repair them immediately to stop from getting worst. If you cannot manipulate to fix them on your own, deliver them to the nearest repair shop or you can ask the shop where you bought and ask if they could have them fixed for you.
It is inevitable that these cots can have little damages specially if they had been with you for a long term. But that doesn’t mean they’re already useless. As long as you may repair them, you may nonetheless utilize these gears.