Since you’ve looked upon this article you really must be passionate about the fishing kayaking sport. Or you already might be involved in fishing and are just looking out for some upgrades.
The good news here is that all things for fishing that are presently used by you are adaptable for the best ocean fishing kayak. However, if you’re fishing with a power boat you’ll need to lay down many other things.
Yeah, you have to give on payments for boat loan, maintenance bills, insurance premiums, launch fees and storage. So, you still require a fishing Kayak? Here’s how you get it!
How to choose the best ocean fishing kayak?
To select the best ocean fishing kayak that suits well with your purpose, you need to learn and gain deeper knowledge of the sport. While searching about the web, if you write down the right questions, you’ll get enough information that’ll quickly overwhelm you.
After collecting appropriate information about the sport, search and narrow down to some fishing devices that are well matched with your requirements. Well, with these five simple steps, you’ll easily get across the shore and pursue the most favorite species of fishes in no time.
Top 8 Best Fishing Kayak in 2020
Intex Challenger K1 Kayak, 1-Person
If you are a one person fun kind of person, then you are bound to find the Intex Challenger Kayak to be quite the catch. Fitted with a wide array of benefits and features, it is bound to be the best companion in your adventurous escapdes. Some of the benefits that you are bound to be experience with this one of a kind and highly considered among the best Kayaks for fishing.
- The kayak offers a durable build that is nimble and is quite durable.
- It has a fine finish that is quite attractive to the eye and definitely meant for the waves.
- It has cockpit that is designed for comfort and has plenty of space to allow for better movement.
- Should you need to store your gear or even your catch, it comes with an extra cargo net to make sure that your sitting space is not imposed on.
- With every purchase, you get an 84 inch aluminum oar and a hand pump and to make the deal even better, you also get a repair patch to make sure you never miss a day out in the rowdy
- waters or even switch that for some silent fishing.
On the downside, there are some areas that might raise concerns about this best kayak for fishing.
- Even though it is capable of going for a fishing expedition, you might find it a bit hard to maneuver around because it is not really meant for fishing.
- The inflatable backseat is not the sturdiest and will crumble when a bit of pressure is added to it.
- It is only possible to support about 220 pounds which does not give it a lot of leverage for the heavier people.
Sevylor Quikpak K5 1-Person Kayak
When it comes to the Coleman Quikpak craftsmanship is the best term to use. They are the best fishing kayaks for beginner fishing. With this kayak you don’t have to strap it on the roof of your car when going to the lake.
Even though it is one of the best for fishing, the Coleman Quickpack kayak was designed to give you the best experience on water. You can set it up so easily by inflating. It is also secure, fun and convenient. You can fold it and place it on the boot of your car to attend to other errands before going kayaking. When you need some personal time it is the equipment you should get.
- It has cup holders for keeping your drinks close to your hand.
- It is very easy to set up. Requires only five minutes.
- The tarpaulin bottom cushions you from punctures.
- The system is airtight. This is a guarantee from leaking.
- It comes with two double lock valve points which ensure easy inflation and deflation.
- There are multiple chambers in the kayak which allow you to keep your stuff safely on different chambers when one is punctured.
- The backrests help you lean back while you enjoy the ride.
- The kayak also has carry handles which make it easy to carry it in and out of the water.
- The PVC construction makes it easy to use the kayak on the lake.
- There are multiple foot rest positions in the kayak which ensures maximum comfort.
- It is spacious with an inflated dimension of 8 ft. 7 in. x 3 ft.
- Water might drip from the paddles into the kayak and so it is not the best fishing kayaks for those who do not want to get wet.
- Because it is light in weight the kayak might be unstable especially when there is a heavy wind. You will therefore need extra weight to make it stable.
The kayak comes with attachable cargo net for storing your belongings. These could be snacks, gears or face towels. Besides, it is better placed at the front to allow for easy access.
The leg space is accurate thereby allowing you to stretch not just the legs but the arms and back as well. This means that the kayak can accommodate all users. Do not worry about your weight since the Coleman Quickpack can carry up to 400 lbs.
The kayak is designed smartly and can even be folded into a back pack. When it is deflated the seats can convert into shoulder straps and this makes it very portable. Due to its small weight you can carry it on shallow waters and you do not need extra help for this.
Oru Kayak – Quality Product with a Brilliant Design
It was designed to make kayaks an option for everybody. Whether you live in the city or in cramped places the Oru Kayak is ideal for you. Its design was inspired by origami. It is so light and can be folded into a small size for portability.
The Oru Kayak is not just one of the best fishing kayak but it has also been used in numerous sporting events. Since its first make in 2012 Anton Willis, the inventor has added so many interesting features to it.
Oru Kayak is made from flexible, light and durable material giving you value for your money. The material is a double layer of resilient plastic which can be folded easily. It will not get damaged by repeated folding. This means that you can transport it hundreds of times without wear and tear. The label from the manufacturer indicates that you can fold it for more than 20,000.
- It has easy to close seams.
- It has a reinforced cockpit which allows for easy entry.
- The footrest is also easy to adjust.
- Comes with two rubber deck straps for gear.
- It comes with a pair of bulkheads to allow for easy rigidity.
- The straps are simple and intuitive for buckling and closing.
- It fits in the standard spray skirts.
Even though this kayak is lauded to be one of the best in most fishing kayak reviews it is not the best. It takes so much time to put the kayak together. You will take more than 20 minutes just trying to assemble the parts.
The Oru Kayak is made of one single seam which is at the top of the boat. The seam is waterproof and sealed completely. Even though it is flexible this does not compromise on its firmness when assembled. You don’t really need an internal frame for this kayak. To make the plastic body even better are the metallic fasteners and rubber straps which are durable thanks to their high quality. In the cockpit there is a rigid floorboard with a footrest that can be adjusted to make the backrest movable. The reinforced cockpit makes it very easy to move in and out. Its performance is easy the best in comparison with other kayaks for fishing. The lack of weight will allow you to move through the winds and water easily.
Lifetime Sport Fisher Kayak Review
This kayak is ideal for those who have been fishers for many years. You need a stable and solid kayak which not only gives you better fishing experience but value as well. The Lifetime Sport Fisher kayak can be used to regularly go out with friends and family to recreational trips. All fishing kayak reviews laud it for the ability to handle three people inside it.
Whether it is solo fishing or tandem fishing you will enjoy the time you spend on this spacious kayak. You can also use it to introduce your kids to the kayaking world so long as you get one with two seats. With good balance and safety the Lifetime Sport is worth the price.
You can literally stand in the kayak as you get a view of the scenery ahead of you. There are compartments on this kayak for keeping your belongings very dry. Even as you engage in fishing sports you don’t have to worry about your belongings getting wet.
- You can go fishing with your family.
- You don’t have to worry about losing your items as you can store them in the shock cord and ditty trays.
- Comes with a 1 year warranty.
- The dimension is 120 by 36 inches making it very wide to accommodate the people in it.
- It is stable and one of the best fishing kayaks to surf through class II rapids.
- The blow molded polythene makes it so durable.
- You do not need fishing pole holders because it comes with them.
- The storage hatch is 6 inches.
- It doesn’t have a rudder and therefore, has tracking issues.
- When water gets into the pole holders the boat will also get some water.
The Lifetime Sport Fisher Kayak has all that you need for the best price range. If you have been engaged in strenuous fishing activities this is your kayak as it will breathe some fresh air into your experience. It is stable in water to allow you enjoy the sea and all its glory.
Know about the kayaking fishing that you need to pursue
Different sorts of Kayak fishing
Before narrowing down to the most appropriate fishing kayak matching well with your requirements, you’ll firstly have to determine the sort of kayak fishing that you want to go for. This is essential as all kayaks for fishing aren’t created for same purpose.
Hence, you must know that fishing kayaks are mainly separated by two different and distinct categories which would generally consist of freshwater and saltwater fishing. Furthermore, these categories also get subdivided into other two categories.
For instance, freshwater kayak fishing would be divided to fishing in moving and still water, whereas the sport of saltwater fishing is separated into offshore and inshore fishing. Hence, you must also know that different kinds of kayak fishing would present the angler with different conditions of paddling and thus would also need different types of kayaks to meet the requirement of the specific conditions.
Also consult experts before purchase, try before you buy:
You must look out for a kayak shop in the area and ask certain advice and questions, and you should take test paddles as well for the selected ones and also the ones that you’re not interested in. Most dealers of fishing Kayaks would allow you to rent and then apply all or only a small portion of the fee for a new fishing kayak.
Honestly, making an informed decision about the right fishing kayak with a paddle and a little advice is harder but can land you a better choice. With these dealers you also get to know about the paddling ways as well.
Get the right Fishing Kayak
Mainly you have to look upon some basics before purchasing your first or the next kayak for fishing.
SOK or SIK – Most fishing enthusiast generally suggest SOK (sit-on-top kayaks), especially for the purpose of saltwater fishing. These would be much safer as they have the capability to roll over without the need to fill water, and angler also gets more room for throwing a leg and moving around to get stability.
Length – Typically the longer your kayak the easier it becomes to travel long distances. The best consideration would be to avoid the ones with tight spaces that leads to difficult in transporting your fishing kayak to launch sites.
Weight – Look upon the captor capability of your Kayak and what equipment you’ll have to carry while making a selection. Getting kayak with heavy weight means that you have to get wheeled cart to move it down across the site of launch.
Facility to stand and fish – Stable and extra wide kayaks can easily allow angler for sight-casting and standing within the shadows.
Seat – With more kayaks for fishing you’re getting seats that are adjustable and come with back support.
We know that the main goal is to fish with features and comfort so you have to get there in the most effective possible means. Another great way to know about the right device is to look for resourceful fishing kayaking reviews and get to know more about the sport. You can also hire an experienced and skilled guide.
Learning How to Fish from a Kayak
Believe it or not, most people can’t just hop into a kayak and automatically be an expert paddler, It takes practice and training. The fastest way to learn how to become a proficient kayak fisherman is to find an experienced kayak fisherman and learn from him or her on actually fishing trips.
In addition to learning how to fish when you are sitting low in the water, the kayaking angler also needs to know how to safely maneuver the fishing kayak.
Follow these tips.
1) Safety First
As with any boating activity, it is very important to follow safety rules and take needed precautions before hopping into a kayak for a day of fishing. The fisherman must be aware of tides, weather conditions and other elements that will impact kayaking.
Remember, when in a kayak you are more exposed to the elements than you are in a larger boat so tides and weather are especially important considerations.
2) Boat Worthiness
Your kayak needs to be in good shape and all hatches waterproof. While fishing keep the hatches closed. Make sure you carry either a bilge pump or sponge. And even when fishing in daylight, carry a deck light.
3) Steady fishing
When you settle in to fish, drop anchor to keep from drifting.
Most importantly let others know where you will be fishing and your arrival and departure time. This will let others know where to find you in an emergency.